Yes on Prop 1

Jun 27th, 2008 | Posted by

Get used to hearing that:

Secretary of State Debra Bowen has assigned numbers to the 11 ballot measures that will appear on the Nov. 4 ballot, starting over with No. 1, which was assigned to the oft-delayed $9.95 billion bond issue to partially finance a high-speed rail system in the state.

Prop 1 it is. It has a nice ring to it.

Although AB 3034 has been delayed in the Senate for two weeks I do not believe that even if it passes it would change the numbering. I’ve seen studies arguing that ballot placement matters – that’s why the order of candidates is done by random draw – so perhaps this matters, perhaps it doesn’t.

But there it is. Prop 1. Yes on Prop 1!

1. Rubber Toe
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 11:02

Now that its official, where are the bumper stickers? Time to fire up a contest to see who can design the best bumper sticker…

Other Robert

Line 1:
    Fly across California without leaving the ground!

Line 2:
    Yes on 1, high speed rail

With the obligatory TGV picture in the background

2. Robert Cruickshank
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:04

I like it. There’s always the cheesy “I’d rather be on high speed rail” and such.

3. Andrew
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:53

Hey, if people can have “I’d Rather be Bow Hunting” on their bumper stickers then they should be able to have:
    “My other car is a High Speed Train” and then the obligatory AGV (Alstom Systems record setting Trainset) picture.

Is somebody going to set-up a contest for this and pitch it to the Authority?

4. Michael Kiesling
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 13:06

I want to be going three times as fast…
    …while I eat and work on my laptop!

Yes on 1

5. Robert Cruickshank
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 13:36

While we’re at it, if anyone wants to compose a banner for the blog, that would be cool. We could rotate different bumper sticker designs/slogans as the banner…

6. Tony D.
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 14:53

“I’d rather be drinking a cold pilsner at Diridon HSR Station” would make a nice Santa Clara County based license-plate frame. St. Pancras Station west? Anyhow, a definite yes on Prop. 1!!! Can’t wait until November!!!

7. Anonymous
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 15:39

The amended AB-3034 language (just out today) has embodied that the proposition is to be numbered #1.

8. Francis
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 17:10

So it was random? Or is HSR just that awesome?

9. Brandon M. Farley
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 17:27

It could be that the bond measure has been around the longest! Remember, it was postponed twice before.

There are about 10-12 other popositions that will be on the ballot too. The placement at #1 sure beats being #12…

I believe lots of people get tired of reading through each proposition and just begin saying ‘no’ after the 3rd or 4th.

10. Robert Cruickshank
    Jun 27th, 2008 at 20:31

I believe, though am not certain, that they are numbered according to when they qualified for the ballot.

Also, there are likely to be more than just these 11 on the November ballot – it is highly likely that part of the state budget solution will involve some proposal to be put on the November ballot.

In any case brandon is right – there’s no better place to be on the ballot than #1. Folks are going to get tired of reading after 5 or 6. If we were 11 or 12 that would be a problem.

11. Roger
    Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:10

I started a Facebook group, “Californians for High Speed Trains”.

And, an event listing for the upcoming Nov 4 election.

I belive this is an important cause and we should get as many people involved as possible to vote “YES” on Proposition 1!

Spread the word!